Sunday, December 12, 2010

Singapore Toy Games Comics Convention

I just came back from the Singapore Toys Games Comics Convention at Suntec City Convention. It's their third year running but this year is by a different organizer. I've mellowed down my collection hobby and thought of skipping the event. This year the organizers brought in special guest appearances, mostly from Marvel Comics. And they have my current fave artist Leinil Yu and my old fave Salvador Larroca. So it's a must to go.

Another different thing about this years STGCC is that there's an entry fee. Early registration fee cost $11.70 and on site ticket cost $15. It isn't much of a hassle and from the looks of it, the place won't be packed like previous years. And it was true. It was a breeze moving around the convention.

Main objective is to meet my fave artist, so I headed straight for them. I came right on time for the Marvel Team panel discussion. The topic was East in West - The Appeal of Asian elements and its incorporation in Western Comics. 
From Left to Right:
C.B Cebulski, Salvador Larroca, Sonny Liew, Leinel Yu, Harvey Talibao, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Alex Maleev and Esad Ribic
From the list of guest, I only follow works by C.B. Cebulski, Salvador Larroca adn Leinel Yu. I'm not too familiar with the rest. And I got to know that my current favorite artist, Leinel Yu is a Filipino. All the while I thought he was Chinese. But his works are truly awesome. He penned comics such as Batman/Danger Girl, Fallen Son, New Avengers, Secret Invasion, Superior, Ultimate Comics: Avengers2, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men. Another artist I love is Salvador Larroca for his work on Gen X/Gen 13, Heroes Reborn, X-Men(Uncanny, X-Treme, Ultimate), Newuniversal. I came with known some of the best work comics for them to sign but the timing is not within means.

Like the previous two conventions, I continued on to my usual toy hunts. I've only kept in mind to get the Transformers Animated Arcee and Hot Rod but I could not find any. The prices for the other toys are quite cheap. I can't believed that most of the toys there are going at unbelievable prices. Tempted but I've controlled. But not till I found some great buys. I gotten myself a Neca TMNT April O'Neil and a Binaltech for only SGD10 and SGD25. I was estactic when I saw them at that prices.

Next, I started roaming around the rest of the convention. There wasn't much interesting things that were showcased, not to me that is. There's the Marvel booth which is empty, Tokidoki booth which is quite popular with the local Asians, few toy booths selling toys at unbelievable prices, 1 gameshop that showcases Kinect(I wanna get it!!!), and a whole row of local talents showcasing their work.

But what interest me the most was when I left the convention hall. Outside the hall, there were tons of people flocking around in Cosplay. I've experienced Cosplay in Harajuku and find them amazing to be dressed as fictional characters and taking photos. Not much of difference here in Singapore. The effort they put in really shows.
The prettiest of all the cosplay eventhough the costume was simple
As for this year, the event is giving out great gifts. Those who purchase an early bird 3-day pass will receive a Star Trek action figure. And every first 500 entry will get a Ghostbuster Mini-Mate everyday. There's other giftaway at different booths. I'm not that of a typical Kiasu Singaporean, but I would love to get hold of the Mini-Mates and an autograph copies of Leinel Yu and Salvador Larroca comics.
Things I brought back from the convention
I'm not too sure if this years STGCC is the best one yet. I've enjoyed the first STGCC the most but this year they brought in most of my favorite artist and give out great gifts. So I'll give them the thumbs up. Last year, I've gotten hold tons of toys and just that. So somehow, I would still go for the next one.

For more pictures, visit Singapore Toys Games Comics Convention.

Till next time,

Ja Matta