Saturday, December 18, 2010

New Work Environment

You guys must have encountered me posting about getting a new career throughout all my blogs but I have yet to mention what it's like. For viewers discretion, I will not include the name of the company but I will announced that I am rightfully hired in an aviation company dealing with aircraft engine overhaul. My true dream of flying may not be achieved but I'm happy with what I have for now. And I will elaborate why.

Firstly, I have been unemployed for coming 2.5 months. My numerous attempts for Cadet Pilot, Air Traffic Controller and Cabin Crew have been a dismay. Hence I chose the last resort, accepting the recommendation to work in the company my sister is working at. Apparently, it's not just my sister. Within the same company, I have my aunt, uncle, brother-in-law, secondary school classmate and even my poly classmate working in different departments. So it became an easily cosy working environment where you'll know people. though I'm still getting a hang in knowing who's who because my jobscope requires communicating with many parties.

So, what is my jobscope like? I am a Planning Assistant, in Vendor Control. Basically, my task is to overlook the progress of the engine parts that the company sends out to repair. The engine overhaul has a certain timeline to meet, so the external repairs has to be back on time. I have to liase with many departments to get the job rolling. For the jobs consolation, it's the most critical department. Without the parts coming back, engine assembly will be put on hold hence loosing a lot of money. And I do mean A LOT OF MONEY. So the jobscope can be quite demanding and pressurising.

Another part of the company that I like is the support to continue study. Upon 1 year of service in the company, they will sponsor the employees to continue to study in FULL WITHOUT ANY BOND ATTACHED. I am currently working office hours and I am SOOOO planning to take up my degree next year.

Though on the hind note, the job is quite demanding. And I did went through some inconvenience even before and during my first week.

Once after the interview, I was told that I'm hired by my sister's supervisor and was told to wait for the letter and probably start by first of December. No letter came by that day and the team was already looking for me. I check with the HR and they mentioned that they have not finalized the position but I'm rightfully hired. Later that week, the HR called and informed me of my pay range and I'm appointed as an executive but still in consideration and would be able to start the following Wednesday. On the following Monday, the HR called me again and informed me that they will not be able to offer the executive position but the position that I applied for. Their reason being that they do not want to create an uproar within the department because there have been people experienced to be promoted to that position. I'm actually cool with it and I will make my way up, just like how I did with Starbucks.

Another part of the inconvenience is that there is no proper training provided except the companies orientation. As an ACTA certified trainer and assessor, I did not received the type of training that I hoped. I was told to 'DIVE' into the role. That kind of shocked me. I have to learn how others had learnt. For the first week, I've been buddied with someone and literally be her shadow because she has tons of work to be completed. Only by the forth day, she came and sit down to go thru the necessary details. Given the opportunity to do overtime over the weekend, my boss happily picked me to do. I was really wondering what I would do on that Saturday with no one around but I managed to get the details of the required task. I was happy that I managed to complete the task, alone in the office. I was initially locked out since I don't have the keys to the office. Lucky the execs have a meeting to attend, so they opened the office.

Well, that is an overview of my new work and how it's been from the begining to end of week one. I may just vent my feelings here in the near future, or maybe I will not. Let's see.

Ja Matta