Friday, October 29, 2010

Trachemys scripta elegans

I have just finished another round of MacRitchie today with Din in the morning and was quite pleased with the trail. I expected to finish it within 1hr15mins for 11km but completed it within 1hr20mins. So not that bad afterall. Wondering why so slow? It's because I fast-WALKed.
Light at the end of the path
Anyway, while cooling down, we were stretching beside a shallow pond with loads of fishes. I asked Din if I could release my Trachemys scripta elegans or red-eared slider terrapins there one day. He was shocked at me having terrapins.

Yes I do have them, 3 of them for now. But not all are mine.
Initially, there were 2, both were my nephews. He named them Pingu and Pinga. But Pinga died awhile back and left Pingu all alone in a small tank.

So I bought this tank for better roaming but seems quite lonely. My mum agreed and bought another 2. There's no official names for them but I named the one on top Bruce and the other Toytl3.

The name Bruce is not because of Bruce Wayne Batman but because it has a bruise on it's shell alas Bruce or Bruise. Toytl3(pronounce toy-tule) is just a continuation of all my other terrapins before, alas the 3 derived as my third. From Toydle(based on how Bebop and Rocksteady called the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle), 2dle(pronounced Two-del) to Toytl3.
And since I'm not working at the moment, they are one of my daily things to do.

And why terrapins and not cats or dogs? As Hakimbo puts it, I'm afraid of anything that moves. Well not everything. I had a pet cat named Chewy (pronounce Chee-Wee) before at Parkway. Thanked Hakim pendek for the pronounciation. But cats fur will trigger my sister's sinus. As for dogs, are you insane! I'm from a Muslim family. My parent will kill me. And of course I'm afraid of them. So no dogs and cats. Thought of hamsters but I'm afraid I will spend like crazy on their cage maze and all the adorable things that goes along with it.

So why terrapins again? Because they are quiet. And no fur to clean and their food are dirt cheap. $5 to last a month for now. Though I have to regularly clean the water because it will cloud and stink after 2 days, depending what food I give them.

So yeah, I have 3 terrapins named Pingu, Bruce and Toytl3.

Ja Matta!!!