Saturday, December 21, 2013

Nippon Adventure: Tokyo

Every great holiday will come to an end. I felt it when I was making my way to Tokyo. There were a lot of things that I looked forward to when in Tokyo but met some objectives before. So, the main objective for this Tokyo trip is mainly shopping and also Tokyo Sky Tree.

After checking in, I headed to Akihabara to do a quick toy hunt. Luckily I didn't had a shopping list or that I wasn't interested with what they offered. Managed to get my cousin's toy order and I almost got myself the latest Final Fantasy game but it was in Japanese language.

After Akihabara, I returned to Shinjuku to do more shopping. Instead of going around Isetan, I went the opposite direction of the train station towards Takashimaya and Tokyo Hands. Almost went crazy again at a Yoshida Porter boutique. I saw a the perfect bag in a showcase but ended not buying as the Porter logo was not prominent. 

The following day, I traveled to Tokyo Sky Tree. 3 years back, the building was only halfway built and I totally didn't realized it until I watched Japan Hour. Till then I was eager to go up. Hakimbo mentioned that there would be a long queue but I eased my way in. Ticket cost ¥2000 to the first observation deck at 350m and another ¥1000 to the second deck at 450m.

The view was magnificent as compared to Tokyo Tower. The majestic structure shadows the street down below was quite breathtaking. After circling the building, I took the opportunity to sit in the cafe and soaked in more of the view. The admission fee is quite costly but it was an experience I've been expecting.

The base of the tower is a shopping mall which I managed to get some souvenirs and mementos. They had a huge shop that sell numerous amount of souvenirs with famous anime characters. I almost had a spree but just ended with a present for a friend. 

My next stop was Asakusa which I decided to walk from the Skytree. Managed to had brunch at a Takoyaki shop and managed to find better mementos of Tokyo Sky Tree. Visited the blue bridge of Asakusa to tag my initials like I did last time and finally made my way to Sensoji Shrine.

I've been to Sensoji Shrine before but my intention there was to get my own Yukata. I had a hard time searching in other cities and got to know that it's mostly sold during summer. The shops at Sensoji Shrine sold it throughout the year and it's affordable, as low as ¥2500. I got mine at ¥3400 with the "happiness" character on it.

The last touristy itinerary was to visit a sento which I didn't managed in the other cities. I went to a private onsen at Hakone before but didn't managed to visit a public one. So I was yearning to try one. With the help of an online sento guide, I found one most accessible with an English assistance. Jakotuyu is quite modern with vending machine with English signs. There was an indoor and a rotenburo (outdoor) pool. As sento are olden culture, there were mostly senior patrons. I was one of 3 young people inside and everyone minded their own business (as we should). It wasn't an awkward experience but soaking in the bath was very rejuvenating after all the walking. I was super relieved when I got out. Do note that it's best to bring some grooming kit as you would have to wash off thoroughly before dipping the in bath. Hence all, bodily application would be gone. I went out without my moisturizer and hair wax, so I was in a mess.

I was thrilled that I completed my tourist itinerary, it was time to clear my shopping desire. First up was Omotesando where I needed my Head Porter bag(s) that I've been eyeing. I also went to Kurachika Yoshida (Main Line for Porter) and got another bag. Here I found a hand-made workshop and got to know that there were some limited pieces (1 piece made). Apparently, the one I found at the other boutique was an exclusive. Almost wanted to kill myself but truly, the bag doesn't shout Porter but the craftsmanship and functionality were spot-on.

My shopping was completed and I still have time to enjoy Tokyo so I walked my way towards the famous cross junction of Shibuya. I had the experience of both night and day craziness of the junction as I killed time at Starbucks overlooking the junction the next day.

So the day came for my last day in Japan. Spent some time in Shibuya to read and complete my scrap book and returned to the hotel to collect my 3 bags of goodies. It was easy to get to Narita from Shinjuku but it was crazy going through the crowded subway with luggage in tow.

Since the last trip was on companion pass, I didn't had much time to explore Narita airport. This time I had plenty of time to have dinner and explore the terminal. I was impressed that they had outdoor viewing gallery. The sight and sound was exhilarating for an aerospace student or it's just me. To hear how the un-muffled engine roar during start-up and taking off is quite pleasing for me too as I deal with aircraft engines.

I had a great time going all over and I still wish to return someday. I had in mind to return to Osaka and visit Nara, Kobe and Mount Koya or to Naha, Okinawa or Hokkaido.

So the next holiday on the way is Bangkok in January (experiencing travelling with kids) and a possible return to Hong Kong in April as a guide.

Check out my pictures of Tokyo.