Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Nippon Adventure: Hiroshima

Hiroshima is 70mins away from Fukuoka by Sakura Shinkansen. After dropping off my bags at Hana Hostel which is just 5mins walk from Hiroshima station, I decided to walk to the nearest attraction which was Shukkeien Garden as recommended by the hostel keeper. I managed to stroll and have a snack of fresh fruit salad along the way.

Shukkeien Garden is 15mins walk from Hiroshima Station but it was closed for a private function so I continued my journey towards Hiroshima Castle. It was roughly 10mins walk from the garden. I entered the castle via the eastern entrance and walked thru the beautiful gardens. There were a couple of wedding photography held at the place and it was not as grand as the ones I encountered at Meiji Shrine few years back. They were more casual and more joyous.

A makeshift castle is located at the far north western part of the compound. It houses a museum and a lookout tower at the fifth floor where I'm able to view the surrounding are out of the castle as the castle's compound were block by trees. 

As I walked towards the southern entrance, I had to pass by a shrine which had wedding procession going on. That explains the bunch of wedding photography in the park. I got myself a custard carp pancake and sat by the bench watching some wedding procession.

I continued walking to the next nearby attraction, A-Bomb Dome about 10 mins away. It was such a solemn place and I was astound by the remaining structure that survived the bomb blast. Across the river stream was the Peace Memorial park. I noticed that I've started the attraction from the back to front and missed out some vital places in the park but I was still satisfied. The museum stands at
the entrance of the park but it was too crowded for me to enter hence I decided to leave.

By the time I completed the main attraction, it was time to check out the local shopping scene. I did realized that I have yet to have a meal so I went to a local curry house and had some shrimp katsu curry don. It was alright but it sure filled my well. Once full, it's time to check out Hondori.

Hondori is a stretch of shopping arcade similar to Shinsaibashi in Osaka but it carry lesser known brands. I got tempted to shop again but subdued to mental shopping list. I retreated early to rest for my day trip Miyajima the day after.

After I completed my Miyajima trip, I told myself that I could start shopping limitedly. I returned to Hondori after a well rested nap and went to get what I had in my mental shopping list. I was quite pleased with the shopping experience in Hiroshima. The exchange rate conversion wasn't that fantastic but I managed to get some order request by people at home. At least I cleared the orders, I can concentrate fully on my needs. 

Hiroshima is a peaceful and solemn city. It is not as robust or hectic as major city of Tokyo and Osaka but it paced perfectly fine. I had a relaxing time and managed to to rejuvenate after a hike at Mt Misen. Food and shopping are plenty and it was easy navigating around town. Hiroshima is my top favorite city for this trip and I would love to return if given the opportunity. I could still do day trips around Hiroshima and will definitely stay in Hana Hostel again due to the excellent service and room.

Do check out my day trip to Miyajima and more photos of Hiroshima. Next, I returned to my old favorite Osaka.