Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Car Rental

My mum wanted me to rent a car for a day to deliver her Hari Raya orders. Apparently, the orders were not fully completed during the planned delivery date, which I had to work. So she got me to rent a car for a second delivery.

My sister recommended renting from Avis Car Rental since she'll be renting it for the coming Hari Raya. It seems steep for the quotation of $137 for a category C car. It was a last minute rental, 2 hours before the pick up from any counters within the 3 terminals at Changi Airport.

The website http://www.avis.com.sg/ provides a lot of information and promotions for rental. But the promotion only applied for reservations. They also include other services such as GPS terminal, car entertainment and others for an additional cost.

Also, a recommendation from my sister is to take up the Collision Damage Waiver insurance where I'll pay only $100, rather than up to $1k for any collision damages for only $33. Sounds great.

Processing of rental wasn't much of a hassle. The condition of the car, Chevrolet Aveo wasn't that bad after all. The petrol was full but only the tires were near flat when I received it. A quick pump did the job. The rental last for 24hours so you need to return the same time as you rent it.

Overall, I was amazed that renting a car wasn't much of a hassle. It's just the price of renting which is a drag. I've paid $137 for the rental plus taxes, $33 for the CDW insurance and a fuel top-up of $25(a full tank is needed upon returning) and $5 for cashcard usage. In total I've spent $200. Seems steep unless anyone can recommend me a better and better car rental services with great insurance coverage will be great.

Ja Matta