Saturday, May 9, 2015

Down Under 01 - Sydney

On the rarest occasion, I’d celebrated my birthday in Singapore this year all due to a friends wedding. So, I had to delay my trip a few days later. 

I never had the intention of going Australia and it wouldn’t really be my choice of destination. Since Hakimbo planned a trip to Melbourne with Izad for his birthday, I thought of crashing their trip. However, I decided to go ahead to Sydney first since I have a few more days to spare.

Since Sydney was my solo trip, I had to plan the entire itinerary. I flew in by Emirates/Qantas so I could return back to Singapore in the same flight as Hakimbo and Izad. Hotel was an excruciating decision where rates, location and convenience were a factor. I booked Park Regis City Centre, which is located within the CBD, so it was convenient to get around. 

Day 1
I decided to venture the city first instead of going to Bondi beach as initially planned. I didn’t managed to get the Opal Card for my transportation usage. So I walked the entire CBD to check the Sydney Opera House and walked along the Rock to underneath the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I wanted to climb the bridge but the climb would have cost me AUD 280. It would have been an experience but the price was just to steep. So being underneath was just satisfying.

From there I walked to the Sydney Eye Tower which was about 1 train stop away. It’s located at Westfield Shopping Centre and the cover cost was about AUD 26. I managed to plan my route for the next few days from up on the tower. However, I was super groggy from my overnight flight and I had yet to freshen up. By then it was almost time to  check into the hotel and that pretty much summed up the day. Went out for dinner and returned back to the hotel by 6pm. Knocked out since I was up the whole of the day before.

Day 2
Got up early to catch the scheduled intercity train to Katoomba, to check out the Blue Mountains. By then, I had gotten my Opal card and it was a breeze getting around . The train ride was about 2 hours long and there would be a connecting bus awaiting to transit to Scenic World. 

I missed the bus because I had to change due to the wet weather. The bus operates at 30mins interval and walking to Scenic World is the same duration. It took me slightly more than an hour because I managed to have breakfast first. The walk to Scenic World was thru residential and then by some campsite. After the rain subsided, the whole neighborhood seems so eerie like those from from Silent Hill due to the fog. 

After that eerie trail as a lonesome traveller, I've reached Scenic World. Admission was AUD 38 which covers unlimited rides of their 2 cable car and the tram. The fog made the whole place last scenic. My horizontal cable car ride went through the fog and unable to view the vast Blue Mountain, waterfalls and the 3 Sisters. The highlight however was the world steepest tram ride which I took quite a bit. I was also literally dampened during the trail because it was raining. Thank God for my overpriced umbrella and forest canopy to keep me slightly dry. 

Made my way back to the town center by bus and on time to connect the intercity train back to Sydney. I managed to find a way to cross the Sydney Harbor and made my way to Milsons Point. Beats paying the AUD 280 and the view is about similar. 

Australian day ends early but I managed to stay out till 8pm that day. Yah, such achievement.

Day 3
The day started bright and early and I made my way to Bondi Junction. I decided to walk around Bondi Westfield for a meal before heading to Bondi Beach. Waited for bus service 333 but took a chance by taking 380 which also landed me at Bondi Beach.

The bus journey was disheartening however as it started to rain, heavily. I've disembarked opposite the beach at the row of shops and waited for the rain to stop. I had Churros and coffee, exactly the same scenario waiting for the rain to stop at Scenic World. Once the rain stopped, I rushed out to the beach.

Due to coming winter, the beach was empty besides tourist and surfers. My intent of Bondi was actually the trail from Bondi to Bronte. The walk along the cliff was magnificent. Every passerby were so friendly and welcoming. While enjoying the sound of waves crashing underneath, a police helicopter was hovering by and it turned and hovered closely to where I was standing. I was holding my camera and point at it, smiled and waved. I think they thought I was suicidal, standing by the cliff. HAHAHA...

The trail was relaxing and I ended it at the Bronte Bath. I should have brought my swimming gear because swimming there would be awesome especially in the current weather. The water was just right next to the crashing waves and the temperature was just suitably warm.

I returned back to the city and made my way to Darling Harbor. There wasn't much there beside Madam Tussuads, Sealife and Wild Life. I just walked around the harbor and ended at Starbucks for a familiar comfort. I also got to book an appointment with a Thai masseuse for the rejuvenated self before venturing onto the next city.

It has been raining in Sydney most of the time I’m there which was sucky. I didn’t managed me to do something or time was mostly delayed waiting for the rain to pass. I did all those in my itinerary just did not fully enjoy it due to the weather. If given the chance, I would do come to Sydney again and re-do some like Scenic World.