Thursday, May 10, 2012

South Korea Day 5-6: A Year Older in Seoul


After my misadventures in Jeju, I was glad to be back to civilazation. Greatest was being a year older in the city. As previously mentioned in an earlier entry, I was inspired by Super Junior/Girls Generation Seoul MV. I will have that in another entry for my fanatical hunt.

As mentioned I stayed in Seoul Backpackers which is across Namdaemun Night Market. I returned to Seoul in the late afternoon from Jeju. It was already night after I settled down so I was only able to venture around the hostel facility, Namdaemun Market. I had my next Korean dinner at their diner whose menu were mostly in Hangul. Score point for able to read it!!!

I was done with dinner by 2030 and crossed the road to Namdaemun but majority of the shops were closed. So much for a night market. Shinsaegae has its main store around the corner and to my surprise, it was closing too even when the store sign states closing at 2230. So I ended going to the convenient store to get some drinks are returned to the hostel.

Waking up in Seoul on my birthday was quite serene, without actual person I know wishing happy birthday in my physical face. The feeling was just great, no offense though.

First stop would be N Seoul Tower, a stop away but I chose to walk over because the cable car service starts at 1000 and I was out by 0920. A return ride cost SGD 8.

N Seoul Tower stood on top of Namsan Mountain and overlooks many parts of Seoul. Apparently, many of my holiday will include towers where accessible. Also located at the venue is the Teddy Bear Museum. Combined entrance fee is SGD 14, individual will be SGD 9.

I hadn't had breakfast so I wondered around for food. There was a particular burger joint named "The Best Burger In Seoul" and I do have to admit that it truly was.

Since I didn't managed a visit to the Teddy Bear Museum in Jeju, I bought the combined ticket. The salesgirl recommended me to go to the museum first before going up. There are two sections to the museum. One part is the local history and the other is an international exhibit. I have to admit that the Teddy Bear exhibition are adorable. The giant teddy are quite nice to hug. However I was most drawn to the souvenir shop where I unconsciously bought a Teddy Bear for no apparent purpose.

Next, it's time to zoom up to the tower. A typical tower attraction similar to that of Taipei 101. But the view in Seoul is much more breathtaking with the Han river to the south and mountain ranges surrounding Seoul city. The toilet there also overlooks the city. I guess only the guys be able to enjoy the view while taking a leak.

I don't know why but I bought tons of souvenirs at N Seoul Tower. From Teddy Bears (still no idea why), magnets, iPhone cover (less than SGD5) and others. Some are cheap so I grab all the souvenirs for my colleagues from there so I won't be bother to search later on.

Cable Car ride down and walk down towards the subway, I was actually across Myeongdong which is a fantastic shopping area. Like Taiwan where I'll visit Ximending daily, Myeongdong is my daily visit. There's lots of great shops around and I did get crazy. Knowing that I'll come Myeongdong again, I ventured out to Hongik University which was about 7 subway stops away via Euljiro 3ga station at the other corner of Myeongdong.

Hongik University is Seoul third top university but the area surrounding it is the hippest with trendy eateries and clothing store for the young or young-at-heart. My main objectives was to locate Seoul Lomography Gallery Store to get more souvenirs and also to process my Sprocket Rocket films since they have their own Lomo lab. It's a 24 hours process unlike Singapore where they'll send to Taiwan to process and takes up to 2 weeks.

I was reluctant to visit Sincheon to check my K-Pop idol establishment, Shindong's DraQra PC Castle. You know Shindong of Super Junior? He established a PC shop and other avenues and thats the reason why he became my idol, an artiste who doesn't fully rely on his fame alone. I thought of using the facility to upload some of my photos but I did not have all my gears plus Shindong wasn't around as he's away on SS4 tour in Indonesia. I had plenty of time before Banpo bridge light show so I made my way there still and was amazed and fanatically impressed for that moment.

Since I still have plenty of time till the light show, I made my way to Coex Mall (a few stops from Sincheon) where the famous Coex Aquarium is located. Apparently like Busan Aquarium, there wasn't much of a boast of exhibition and the entrance fee was SGD 20 also. I ended wondering around the mall to kill time and to find the best directions to Banpo Bridge.

After all the research, I chose to use the Dongjak direction which was 2km away but direct. It was nice stroll along the park in the cool night but while checking the Google map on my phone, i realized that I was walking next to a cemetery. Lucky there were a lot of people, it would be freaky walking alone near a cemetery.

Banpo Bridge Fountain Light Show is on every 1800, 2000, 2030, 2100 and 2200 based on the website and depends on the weather. Each presentation last for 20mins. I was 5mins late for the 2000 show and waited for the 2030 show but it did not turned on. So I continued waiting for the 2100 show. It had to be the coldest night throughout my trip at 7 degrees.
Banpo bridge is one of my Seoul MV itinerary so I was satisfied visiting the area. While waiting for 2100 show, I researched the best way to get home and found that the subway across Banpo bridge is the nearest route home but the route to the station was a complicating one. It became an adventure where I panicked due to the urgent need of a toilet but I found my way around to the station.

Day 1 in Seoul was packed with many itineraries. It was a tiresome day but a birthday in Seoul and being at the vicinity of my K-Pop idol was the icing on top of my birthday cake. Just splendid!

Birthday in Seoul.