Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Magical Birthday


Second time, Yeah!
There seems to be a lot of second time for this birthday trip. Firstly, this is my second birthday trip to Hong Kong, second time I became a guide in 2014, second trip with a lady and second time I returned to Singapore via Airbus A380.
 
It was easier to plan this trip as my companion told me she will just follow me for the attractions and she will do the research for food. I had to give up on that as:
1) I admit I'm a fussy eater but I can eat almost anything (non-pork)
2) I tend to have improper meals when I'm overseas as I preload myself sustainable to last long for the day. Hence I tend to have 2 full meals a day when I'm overseas. Unless I find some snacks I'm salivating to try.

It was a 4 day trip and I've planned going to one of Hong Kong's 3 islands per day. Since our hotel is at Kowloon (Evergreen Hotel - second stay), we set out to start our exploration from Mongkok down to Tsim Sha Tsui (she never failed to laugh whenever I say Tsim Sha Tsui). I brought her to the Ladies Market and Temple Street market which was disappointing as compared to Taiwan's night market which she loves. I also managed to check out some toys and not surprising to exit with some bags. We walked towards TST from Mongkok and ended at the Avenue of Stars to catch the Symphony of Lights before we return to the hotel and knock out.
The second is actually my birthday. I wasn't expecting something special and there wasn't any. Fyuh! Well, it's the day I got treated like a kid again, in Disneyland. Initial planned for a quick trip up Ngong Ping but she was relunctant in waking up early so we forgo it but not Citygate for possible shopping. I left empty handed except for her, she managed to grab some stuffs. We then made our way to Disneyland around noon and it started to rain. Luckily we had each brought an umbrella so it was an ease getting around.

Ok, I was never a fan of theme parks and never will. It's not about the thrilling rides (which I told everyone I'm not into roller coaster) but more towards the queue. We visited Disneyland on Saturday which is partially our fault but that's my birthday. There were tons of tourist from mainland China and quite a handful of Indian national. We managed to take quite a number of rides with an average queue of 30 mins. The most exciting ride I took was the runaway cart which is a roller coaster ride without the loop. We spent a good halfday in Disneyland and ended with a bang by the fireworks. We returned to Kowloon where I went for a mandatory massage while she return to the hotel to freshen up.

The third day was spent visiting Hong Kong island. I've never took the ferry to Hong Kong before so we took the opportunity. Before boarding, we did a quick round along Canton Road. 

She never was into ferry rides but she still followed as how I followed her for her Disney rides. We ventured into IFC and moved up to Soho and made our way to the Peak tram station. The queue was horrendous and we decide to go the following morning instead. Hence we made our way to Causeway Bay. I never took the tram as well so I hopped into one and proceeded to Causeway Bay. Along the way, I did thought of visiting the Halal Dim Sum at a mosque canteen as initial planned but it was quite late and she had her share of dim sum. So we forgo and continued towards Causeway Bay for dinner instead.

As we failed to go up Peak the day before, we went on our last morning in Hong Kong. The only intention up at Victory Peak was to dine-in at Bubba Gump restaurant. She wasn't too keen on the view as she's acrophobic. After our quick lunch, we've returned to Tsim Sha Tsui to do our final shopping and kill time at Agnes B cafe. We made our way to the airport earlier than expected to continue shopping at the Disneyland Store.

I actually had a great time especially in Disneyland which my friends were worried about. They were worried as this was the third time being in Hong Kong and that I did not post any update in Facebook or Instagram like my other trips. The main reason was my iPhone camera had a glitch that wouldn't operate the camera function properly. Since I can't use the phone camera, I did not attain the local mobile data as I'm unable to take and post pictures from my phone. I ain't willing to be one of those that uses their iPad to snap photo. How horrendous is that?! I did managed to take photos with my Canon camera instead but there isn't much as I've been to HK a few times.

Check out the album for Hong Kong from Facebook.